Sunday, November 22, 2009

Introductory Post

I listen to lots of music and enjoy forcing my opinions on other so I decided I should make a music blog. I'm primarily going to use it for posting reviews of albums, both current and classic, but also for posting any interesting music related news or cool music videos I stumble upon, as well as links to recordings of my weekly radio show on WIUX.org, Sundays at 11 AM. I don't consider myself much of a qualified critic, as there are humongous gaps in my music knowledge, so please take my reviews with a grain of salt. I may mistake something as groundbreaking when in actuality it is ripping from an album that preceded it that I just have not had the opportunity to hear.

Although it's certainly subject to change, here's some information on how I plan to format my reviews.

I will be using a 5 (*****) star rating system. Each review will have an overall album rating which is what you should look at if you are deciding whether or not to buy the album. However, unlike most reviews I will also be providing ratings for each track on the album. This is because everyone knows that some absolutely fantastic albums have one or two bad tracks and some terrible albums have one or two great ones. The song ratings should be thought of as relative to each other. Thus a song with 3 (***) stars on an album with a 5 (*****) star overall rating is probably way, way better than an 4 (****) star song on a 1 (*) star album.

Another cool thing I'm going to try to do is add small bitmaps beside each song to mark different things about them. There will be a image for catchy songs, songs with ripping awesome guitar solos, love songs, and so on. These symbols will be explained in a key that will be included to the right of the blog. These tags will also be used next to the album score. This will signify things about the album in general, such as it is a very catchy album, etc.

Reviews will also be well labeled to allow you to search by artist, date released, and genre.

At first my listening tastes may seem really limited since I plan to post all about all the contemporary dancehall I've been getting into lately, but eventually I should expand out into a multitude of different genres.

Anyway wish me luck on this new venture and I will try to post as much as I can for you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment