Monday, November 23, 2009

Gregory Isaacs - Consequence (1990)



Artist: Gregory Isaacs
Album: Consequence
Genre: Reggae: Lover's Rock
Release Date: 1992
Label: Rohit Records
RIYL: Dennis Brown

Rating: **

First, I must admit some bias, I am absolutely in love with Gregory Isaac's Night Nurse. It is one of my favorite albums of all time. I had not heard any of his other work before listening to Consequence, and so naturally Night Nurse is all I could compare it to, and I must admit that album is a very hard one to live up to. However, I can't help but feel I'm correct despite the bias in thinking that Consequence is not that good of an album. Isaac's voice has apparently gone down hill since '82. He sounds more like a toad than the beautiful crooner he was on Night Nurse. Compared to Roots Radics' amazing backing, this album has occasionally decent, often terrible instrumentals (sometimes utilizing uninspired dancehall production as on "Can't Give My Love Alone"). I will admit that it does open with a three or so good numbers ("Just Another Finger" is a fine song indeed), but it quickly turns to a mess of uninteresting songs. The song that the title comes from "Who's Gonna Pay the Consequence" is nigh unbearably boring with Gregory Isaac's barely enunciating his lyrics. Not recommended.
  1. Getting Out of My Range ****
  2. It's Too Late ***
  3. Just Another Finger *****
  4. Solitary Confinement ***
  5. African Woman **
  6. Who's Gonna Pay the Consequence *
  7. Weeping Eyes *
  8. Can't Give My Love Alone *
  9. That Lady **
  10. Don't Wanna Be Lonely **

No comments:

Post a Comment